Register for the Ryte Newsletter
Get the latest SEO and website quality news! Exclusive content and Ryte news delivered to your inbox, every month.
Advertising media is used in the advertising industry to advertise messages or products. In the area of online marketing, advertising media is included in the category of affiliate marketing.
Advertising media is used for communicating a promotional message. Examples include online banners, radio spots, billboards, television advertisements or in print media, ads in newspapers. There is always a close connection to the advertising medium. For example, in a broadcast, the radio is the means of communicating the message, and the advertisement itself is the advertising media. Advertisements in computer games are called In-Game Advertising.
Relevance for Online-Marketing
In online marketing, advertisers use advertising media on their website or for e-mail marketing. The aim is to gain the website visitors’ or the mail recipients’ attention. The goal is arousing the customer's interest or in e-commerce to make them purchase something. An alternative way of advertising includes placing an advert on external pages which are linked to the website or offer. A commission has to be paid for this service which is calculated by affiliate systems or networks. The abbreviation Ad for "Advertisement" is very common in online marketing for all forms of online advertisement. To judge the effect or success of advertising, the “opportunity to see“ rate can be used. This rate shows how often a person on average comes into contact with a certain form of advertising media.
Types of online advertising
The most used form of advertising media online is the banner. A banner can be presented in various formats, so in different sizes and pixels. In addition, there are several other online-adverts/display-advertising in graphic advertising:
- Textlink - a link which should attract the users’ attention
- Placement – Blog authors write an assigned article that mentions or contains the use of the promoted product.
- Sponsoring – a sponsor supports a (mostly nonprofit) project. In return the sponsor is mentioned by name or banners are placed.
- Pop-Up – a form of banner advertising which pop up and cover the page’s content when opening a website.
- Skyscraper – is a high level form of a banner. It is defined with 600 pixels.
- Sticky Ad – a form of banner advertisement which is bounded to the user’s scrolling, so it covers the content until the user closes the ad.