Register for the Ryte Newsletter
Get the latest SEO and website quality news! Exclusive content and Ryte news delivered to your inbox, every month.
Alexa SEO refers to the optimization of products on the Amazon platform for the voice-controlled Alexa search. In contrast to classic SEO for search engines, Alexa SEO is specifically for making products found easily via Voice Search with Amazon’s digital language assistant.
Voice search is playing an increasingly important role on the internet. The US statistics service Comscore predicts that half of all search requests will be voice-controlled by the year 2020.. Other online marketing experts are now making similar predictions.
“Voice search” has thus become an important topic in SEO. Search queries via voice are mainly carried out on mobile devices when one’s hands cannot be used for input. But this is only one possible use of voice search - this type of search is closely linked to the use of digital assistants. They are not only supposed to answer simple search requests, but also handle specific tasks. In addition to Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Apple, Amazon now offers its own language assistant with Alexa.
The technology is installed in a special terminal, Amazon Echo. This is a small box which is set up as an Amazon Echo Dot or Amazon Echo in a room. Several highly sensitive microphones inside the devices capture voice commands. The system is a learning system that can handle or execute more and more things with increasing use.
Amazon Alexa Voice Search features
With Alexa Voice Search, Amazon offers its customers various functions which they can use with voice control.
- Amazon Shopping: Customers can directly purchase selected products from Amazon’s selection using their language assistant. A prerequisite for the availability of the products for Alexa is the “Amazon Choice Badge.”
- Amazon Skills: The language assistant can be upgraded with small apps, called “skills.” That way, users can allow Alexa to access data from apps. Many different functions are possible, including weather report, booking train and flight tickets, or ordering food.
- Amazon Music: Amazon Echo has a speaker which turns it into a mini stereo system. Music can be played from the Amazon Music program using voice control. It is also possible to play songs, podcasts, or radio programs via Spotify or TuneIn.
Which data does Alexa use?
The Amazon digital assistant uses various data to deliver results to users. Product descriptions and product titles are used for searching for and purchasing products. The algorithm also uses product evaluations as well as the number of orders. More popular articles thus have a higher chance of being selected by the assistant than less well-rated products.
Alexa uses the data from attached apps for other services. Again, probably ratings and the frequency of usage play a role, which app is considered for which search query. But, users can decide which application Alexa should use.
Goals of Alexa SEO
The primary goal of Alexa SEO is to generate sales of a specific range of products via the Amazon Alexa Voice Search.
Prerequisites for Alexa SEO
Alexa SEO differs from traditional SEO in that only one portal is optimized, and the optimization is restricted to the voice search of this sales platform. Moreover, the products must be offered through Amazon Prime and usually carry the Amazon Choice badge. Amazon’s algorithms determine whether or not products can be ordered with voice search. There are no clear statements from the provider about this, just hints.
Important aspects of Alexa SEO
Alexa SEO follows the basic idea of search engine optimization, in other words making web content accessible to a search engine. However, other factors play an important role.
- Amazon Choice Badge: This particular “markup” is given to products that meet certain criteria. This includes products that are often ordered via Amazon and the seller has to offer the products as part of Amazon Prime.
- Amazon Prime: When a product is offered through Amazon Prime, it must be delivered to the customer within two business days after being ordered. If this requirement is not fulfilled, products cannot be ordered through Amazon Echo.
- Keywords: Unlike optimization for websites, keywords for Amazon SEO play an important role, similar to the keywords for Google MyBusiness. The assigned keywords form the basis for a successful customer search. The more accurate and varied the keywords are, the more precise the results. Keywords are also important in optimization for Alexa.
- Title: Product titles are very important at Amazon. A relevant keyword should always be used here.
- Images: Images are initially not relevant for voice searches. However, high-quality product images are nevertheless important for Alexa SEO because a large selection of product presentations or videos can increase conversions. Increased purchases in turn increase the chance of obtaining the Amazon Choice Badge.
- Lists and product description: The product description should be clearly structured and contain lists that highlight the benefits and details of the product. The content of the product description is processed by the algorithms of the Amazon Voice Search.
- Structured data on filters: This structured data assists the search engine to better classify the search query.
- Increase sales: With specifically targeted marketing measures that promote the product and increase sales, the product becomes more attractive to the Amazon Voice Search. If you sell a lot, you will therefore increase your “ranking” within the search.
- Short delivery times: The faster a product can be delivered, the better. It is therefore usually beneficial to ship the products via Amazon.
- Repeated purchases: The greater the repeat rate for a product, the more likely it is to be included in the Amazon Choice.
Relevance to search engine optimization
The benefit of Alexa SEO is primarily limited to the increase in sales within the Amazon platform. It is to be assumed that the use of the voice search will increase significantly at Amazon as well. Accordingly, optimizing for voice search within the framework of Alexa SEO is an important target for retailers, who mainly offer products for everyday life.
Whether the Amazon Voice Search will be expanded in the future with additional products has not yet been determined. It is currently still limited to products which are configurable. For example, if you want to buy a garment in a particular color or size, you will have to know the brand and item number of the product in advance.
Search engine optimization rules overall generally also apply to Alexa SEO. If you want to succeed in the long term, you will need to pay attention to the consistency of your data and make sure it is up-to-date. The amount of sales is likewise a key factor, and price could ultimately also become an important criterion for Alexa SEO.
- Just say it. The future of search is voice and personal digital assistants campaignlive.co.uk Accessed on 27.03.2017
- OK Google, Siri, Alexa, Cortana; Can you tell me some stats on voice search? branded3.com Accessed on 3/7/2017
- Amazon-Sellercentral-Forum sellercentral.amazon.com Accessed on 27.03.2017