Register for the Ryte Newsletter
Get the latest SEO and website quality news! Exclusive content and Ryte news delivered to your inbox, every month.
TYPO3 is an open-source CMS that is based on the PHP scripting language. Since 2012, the software is officially known as TYPO3 CMS. Other products are also currently available under the brand name TYPO3. Based on the versatile possibilities with numerous extensions, TYPO3 is often used to create websites and is an alternative to Joomla, WordPress, or Drupal.
The term TYPO3 resulted from a typo that had caused the inventor to exterminate a large part of his programming work. Later on, the third version of his program ended up being successful enough to be distributed all around the world. “TYPO3” is therefore derived from the acronym for typing errors, typo, and the third version.
The following are some of the many advantages that TYPO3 CMS offers users:
- Over 5,000 enhancements, most of which are free, can be used to enhance the functionality of websites created with TYPO3.
- The CMS is multilingual.
- CMS maintenance is easy to learn.
- Since TYPO3 is frequently used to create websites (approximately half a million websites are created using TYPO3), there is a wide range of experience in the programming of TYPO3 pages.
- With the use of TYPO3, server configuration is not elaborate.
- Easy programming thanks to installation of the web server and editing through the browser.
- Easy maintenance and creation of content.
- Possible quick change of the layout by changing the templates.
Anyone who can create a website using TYPO3 should basically focus on three areas: the page configuration on TypoScript, the maintenance and integration of content, as well as the web design.
TYPO3 is split just like an ordinary CMS, with front-end for display in the browser and back-end for data maintenance.
Importance for SEO
Due to the versatile possibilities that it offers, TYPO 3 CMS is a very popular software, not only amongst web designers and programmers but also with SEOs. One of the main reasons is that the numerous plugins make it easy to optimize Alt tags for images and meta data. Another reason is that the streamlined structure of the source code eliminates any hurdles for Google bot and other crawlers. Through the modulation via PHP, web content and other features can be integrated easily in a TYPO3 installation.
Furthermore, the CMS offers a very good overview of all the media, such as the images and videos on a website, since these are systematically structured in the back-end. Similarly, TYPO3 has an automatic sitemap creation feature. SEOs also cherish the fact that TYPO3 pages comparatively load faster due to the integrated caching system.
Another advantage of CMS for SEO is that it makes creation of multilingual websites much easier.