Discover the Ryte Suite
- Sustainably improve your website
- Run a technical SEO audit
- Benefit from content optimization features
Knowledge powered by Ryte
The idea and implementation of widgets originated from an IT project called Athena, developed jointly by IBM, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Digital Equipment Corporation. Originally, it was an object that only worked when linked to a window of a computer program. This widget was to respond to keystrokes or mouse commands independently and customize its appearance. In the course of the increasing importance of the Internet, the widget received new attention.
Where are widgets used?
Widgets require a widget engine on a computer, in order to be fully functional. Such an engine nowadays provides most graphical user interfaces. An example of widgets is the new Windows 8 interface in “tile design.”
Widget vs. Plug-in vs. Apps
- Widget: small window with full function that is embedded on a website or in an operating system.
- Plug-ins: are extensions to a basic software and get “attached” to it with an API.
- Apps: are originally standalone small programs for the Apple iPhone. Today, this term is being generally used for stand-alone programs on smartphones.
Widgets on smartphones
Widgets also occur on smartphones, especially with devices with the Android or WindowsPhone operating systems.
Widgets as part of an SEO strategy
Widgets have become very popular in SEO and online marketing because of their simple programming and easy distribution. Websites can increase their reach and Traffic with widgets. Widgets can also attract additional attention for social media marketing.
RSS Feeds are common widgets that are provided by a news page. These feeds are integrated by interested websites and provide traffic. At the same time, these websites can also provide additional Backlinks to the source of the information.
Info websites on current weather condition offer weather widgets, which are particularly attractive for publishers of all kinds, because they provide added user value.
It should be noted that widgets can be easily integrated from other websites and optical adjustments can be made as accurately as possible.
- Widget Marketing Slideshare. Accessed on 11/28/2014